Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Trey Has to Die: Yes, All About the Shoes

Trey Kerby is the author of The Blowtorch. He does not forgive. He does not forget. Okay, neither of those things are true. But Lordy, Lordy, Nate-Robinson's-A-Shorty, does he love shoes. His "Trey Has To Die" column moseys on over here from time to time.





Holly's post inspired me. She talked about how she loves basketball shoes and the stories behind them. Here's my shoes and here's my stories.

-------------


These are all my non-dress shoes. I can tell you when and where I got every single pair of these. There's a lot of repeats, but there's a reason for that. Once you get your feet in a pair you like, you're stuck with it. It makes your feet feel good and it looks good. Rock it.


-------------


I read somewhere that a man should be brand loyal to some brand in some realm of life. At first I thought that was silly. Just some magazine trying to fill a list. But then I got thinking, "Trey, you have A LOT of Nikes. You're already brand loyal." And I am. I've never been injured wearing Nikes and they look fantastic. By far the best shoe brand there is.


-------------


Though these aren't basketball shoes any more, the Converse All-Star was the first athlete endorsed shoe ever. We owe Chuck Taylor so much.


-------------


This picture tells the story of my post-college basketball life. Starting with the Huaraches on the far right, I've progressed around the half circle to the Melo M4s I bought last week.


-------------


I got these Dunks the summer of 2000, just before my senior year of high school. I wore them a few times here and there but never for basketball. Until the last game against our rivals. We wore purple. They wore orange. We played at their gym and we won. I customized these in the summer of '05, so they're 1 of 1.


-------------

It's highly likely that there will never be a cooler team that the Fab Five. Being 7 and 8 years old, I was smitten. When they finally retroed these, I got them immediately. They don't make them any more, so these are some of my most treasured.


-------------



These are my newest kicks, the Melo M4s. They're very strange-looking and have a lot of bizarre features and asymmetry and things that aren't usually on a basketball shoe. They're also the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn on court. And they come with ankle sleeves, so there's that.


-------------


I saved the best for last. I've talked about these shoes before, but the main thing is that these are the most beautiful shoe ever designed. There's very few shoes that even come close. Legendary.


--------------


Those are my shoes and some of the stories behind them. I'm sure you all have some stories, feel free to chime in.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites