Friday, March 14, 2008

Great Exercises in Internet NBA-Related Postings 3.14.08

Okay, I'm going to warn you. You may want to take this in sections, pace yourself. I haven't done these this week on account of the death flu. But I've got all of these starred in Reader. I could be more selective, but I already am, and I've got a lot to catch up on. We're going to start with most recent and move backwards, because it's easier for me that way. Brace yourselves....

  • The Hornets: American Idol as this post:awesome.
  • BrewHoop has a terrific piece on the collective power of fans efforts and the cumulative effect it's geared towards. All of this in relation to a paper-bag revolt.
  • I'll have an interview on this late tonight, but in case you missed it, the Cavs called up Lance Allred (D-LEAGUE!) to help out. I'm going to say this right now. I'm going to go out on a limb. Don't care. IF he gets more than 5 minutes of playing time a night, he will be more efficient than Anderson Varejao. There. Also, the guy's partially deaf. And he plays chess. And is really, really funny. Plus, this was going to be his last in the D-League if he didn't make it. Root for this guy. Seriously.
  • Sam Vincent gives himself a C for the season. An honest assessment, and one I agree with.
  • Our hero.
  • We joke a lot about the kid, but I've honestly always liked his game. Ever since he helped D-Wade kill my Tigers in the NCAA tournament a few years back, I thought he was talented. Good to see him make the most of an opportunity. Anyone that focuses on not turning the ball over should be commended in this league.
  • Very quietly, there's starting to be murmurs of things that could be small holes now, GIANT HOLES in the playoffs. You do not want to be weak in this area facing Nash-STAT, Paul-Chandler, or Parker-Duncan in May.
  • Good news for the rest of the league, the Pistons are "hungrier." Gulp.
  • Don't ask, Josh Howard won't tell.
  • Nail. Coffin.
  • Larry Brown Sports: The bug in your fresh brewed coffee, Rockets fans.
  • Analysis of where exactly LeBron gets the referee rub. Now, I'm an avid supporter of tightening up on offensive fouls. When Manu just throws himself into the lane, goes into the air, and manages to always land on his back every time? He needs to get called for the offensive foul to get him to stop it. But here's the thing. LeBron doesn't flop. He bull charges, gets the step on you, and goes up to kill you with the shot. He's not looking for the call (until after the play, where he's starting to complain more, ugh). I've got no problem with a player being fearless when he drives as long as he's not looking for a call. That's what makes LeBron great. He's faster AND bigger than you. He should have used that last night instead of taking the step back three.
  • He better hope "it" comes back in the next month or so...
  • The Science of Crap. Clippers style.
  • I hate this argument because it's not something he can affect. To everyone that responds with "Kobe can't help it that his teammates are better than LeBron's" I say, "That's true. He can't. But LeBron still manages to make worse teammates score more often than Kobe does (it's called "assists"). Doesn't that probably mean LeBron makes his teammates, who are worse, better?"
  • Um. Lock Smith? Dude? Have you lost your freaking mind? Wizards fans, pray to God you don't have to face the Cavs in the first round.
  • Wow. NO ONE thinks the Rockets have a chance against the Lakers. Except the Dream Shake. And me. Shhhh....
  • Note: If this was regarding the Lakers, it would be "THEY CAN WIN 45 STRAIGHT! IT'S OVER! THIS MEANS THE SEASON'S OVER! CROWN THEM! CROWN THEM NOW!" Association, we love you. But come on, dude. 20 is 20.
  • Empty the Bench covers the underrated.
  • Best quote from this? "He's seen so much worse." Wow.
  • Jones on the NBA on some final thoughts on Kobe Day. If I have to type that phrase again, I'm going to vomit. Which means over the next few of these, I'm going to be vomiting a lot.
  • Maybe, just maybe the Hornets will stay in New Orleans.
  • Obligatory link to Daryl Morey's genius.
  • We'll come back to this.
  • A fascinating critique on a report questioning OKC's viability as a market. I was shocked at St. Louis' position on this list.
  • Imagine being a teenager, training with Randy Foye.
  • Collangelo's flaw: rebounding.
  • We're a day late, we know. But seriously. Suspend Bowen. Someone. Anyone. Stu Jackson. Stern. Jesus. Someone. He's going to end up affecting another playoff series with dirty play and it's going to be a Goddamn tragedy this year if he does. Send a message. If I'm the Hornets, I send someone out to enforce in the playoffs. I'm not kidding.
  • How A Buy-Out Happens.
  • Run for your lives!
  • Give Me The Rock's Updated Playoff Odds. His system has some nice tweaks on the alternative. I love how the Sixers have a 90% chance. That's insane.
  • Oh, Hakeem. Swoon!
  • Ziller's love is a torn love.
  • Maybe, just maybe the Dream Shake can show Rafer some love he deserves? Oh, oh? No. Silly Rafer, support is for Scola!
  • This is a popular sentiment right now. Here's the thing. When you look at Scola's game? It doesn't really fit with the Spurs system. He's too haphazard. He wanders all around the paint. In the Spurs system, you're glued to a zone on both sides of the court. You don't see Oberto wandering out to the free throw line. The Spurs have a young prospect, and they're happy with him. Trading him was a no-lose for them.
  • Oh, Buuuuuurn!
  • Yeah, this is not so good, there, OKC. As a borderline Midwesterner/Southerner by birth and culture, I can tell you this sentiment is probably out there more than officials would like to admit. I'm not saying it's prevalent, and I'm definitely not saying OKC shouldn't get a team (they should). But I have to be honest when I say that I'm from the same region (a connecting state), and that sentiment is not held by a small minority.
  • Starbury a Piston, WTF?
  • Beasley vs. Greg Oden.
  • Thank You, God, ABC is coming around!
  • The Shamrock Headband vehemently defends Ainge for Executive of the Year while criticizing the idea of Kupchak for the same award. My take? What the hell are you talking about? Neither one of them deserve it! You don't give a moron that wins the lottery a special prize for being smart enough to pick the winning combination! It's not like either of these guys pulled together a masterful deal, they had them DROPPED IN THEIR LAPS. With all of the franchises that have made significant strides this year, you really want to give it to either of these guys who were essentially bailed out, one by a former member of the organization who sold his guy for .25 cents on the dollar, and the other by a GM who blatantly ignored better offers and then accepts a deal for Kwame freaking Brown? Can we just give it to Stern and be done with it?
  • An open letter to Mark Cuban from CelticsBlog.
  • Jeremy Richardson sticks (D-LEAGUE!).
  • Pacers: ugh.
  • Thank you! Now, STFU, Eastern Conference-hatin-to-help-Kobe people.
  • Finally, I want to thank the guys over at the LA Times Lakers Blog for having me on the podcast to talk about KBBDay. I was still feeling like ass when I was on, so that's partly why I was so out of it. What's sad is, because of the cold, my voice actually sounded lower than it usually does. I used to make fun of Simmons for his squeaky voice. Until I figured out that I should be singing "Me, I want a hoola-hoop."

 
Add to Technorati Favorites